Friday, November 7, 2008

Patriotic and Young?!

I know, I know. I've been MIA for a bit - I was sick! But that's no excuse.

Here's a little recap of my Election Day experience.

Well, at first, I was so miserable all day because I was coughing and sneezing and doing all that fun cold stuff. When I left work, I really just wanted to snuggle up in my bed and take a long winter's nap (because let's face it, Daylight Savings Time has made it real dark real early!). In any case, I trudged over to my voting site and found my district. I had to wait in line!! But nothing like those horrid four-hour lines I heard about in the City. This was only a group of three and their little, adorable Pomeranian.

As I signed the book, I was proud of myself. I was exercising my right as an American. I waited and looked at the cute puppy in front of me who really had no idea what was going on. They joked and said he got half a vote. Then I, being the friendly gal I am, somehow struck up a conversation with one of them:

Woman: Oh, dear!! Is this your first time voting? (she looks at me with admiration)
Me: Actually, no it's my second… presidential election.
W: Oh my!! You look sooo young!
M: I'm actually 23. (I say this with trepidation, as I don't want to seem like I'm asserting my age or being snooty with her. I certainly didn't want to give off the wrong impression as a nasty little young'n.)
W: It's just so great to see all you young people voting. Really, it is. The kids on college campuses too are so active. It hasn't been like this in so long!

I smiled at her and said goodbye and wished her a good day. She was very excited that I was voting. But I thought to myself, do I really look like I'm 18? Ang got carded a few months ago to walk into a Rated R movie and she was appalled. We don't think we look that young. But one day I'm sure we'll be laughing about it thinking, Man, I wish they'd still card us!
Digg this

No comments: