Friday, February 13, 2009

The Exception or the Rule?

We decided a few weeks ago that we were going to have a girls' night out to the movies. Janine thought it would be cute for us to go see He's Just Not That Into You with Ang. So we planned a date and we went last night. Here is my review.

I had heard so many negative things about this movie - the storyline wasn't good; the ending was terrible; the plot was confusing; and people left terribly depressed after seeing it. In fact, I read one review that had one of the commenters going home, questioning her current relationship, and crying herself to sleep. OK, now, I may be in a relationship too, but I'm not going to take a movie that seriously. To go home and cry yourself to sleep is rather ridiculous. I mean, did you go home watching your back at night for the Vampire Zombies that attacked Will Smith in I Am Legend? No, I think you did not. Movies are supposed to be a method of escaping or just having a story told to you. They don't necessarily need to represent reality all the time.

In any case, I felt that the movie was exactly what it advertised itself to be. It's kind of like when I watched The Break-Up. I was so disappointed at the ending of the movie, yet I failed to keep in mind what the actual title of the movie was. Did I not realize that some sort of break-up would take place? When you're going into a movie that is based on a novel that essentially tells you to not take guys seriously, what do you think the movie is going to be about?

I thought the plot was funny and it really explored the "six degrees" theory, as well. Everyone was somehow connected and I enjoyed the characters a lot. It's like I got to know them in some way over the two hours of which I sat there. What happened in the end may have been predictable or disappointing for some, but I think that it was the way it was supposed to be for all those characters. I was quite pleased.

I really don't want to give anything away to all those who have yet to get to the movies, but I think He's Just Not That Into You was quite entertaining and fun. Please don't take it seriously. I doubt the writers were trying to personally attack you with the plot. So please take it at face value and don't try to interpret too much into this. After all, every single relationship has different circumstances and I really don't believe that you can ever compare two relationships. There may be a lot of people who were just not into this movie, but as for me, I guess my review is the exception to the negative review rule.
Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe some folks are unable to distinguish reality from fiction; or they over-exaggerate their own circumstances to equate them with a film's plot. Kind of like the octuplet woman, who wants to be like Angelina Jolie, but really is never going to be her. People simply need to get a grip. Period. Good analogy and good review. I'll have to go see the film now. :) Thx!

Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant! I'll have to add you to my reader!