Tuesday, January 8, 2008

American Gladiator F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!

A new blog for a new year.. and what would a new year be without a new show?! (Especially since the writer's strike is still going strong. Even though I'm a writer, I must say that I really miss my shows…). I'm not only excited for the return of Scott Baio to VH1 inScott Baio is 46… and Pregnant but I have just finished two fabulous nights of…wait for it…AMERICAN GLADIATORS (which shall be deemed AG)!!!

OK, not gonna lie.. I kind of miss the old AG. I had been getting my fill for a while on ESPN Classics and will continue to check it out when I'm hanging around, looking for something to watch on the tube. This is especially true because I love seeing the funny fashion and hairstyles of the early 90s! But this new season of AG is pretty sweet!!

Within about the first seven minutes of the first episode, we already had an injury and found a replacement contestant. Throughout the episode I was cleaning my room and, at times, found myself paying more attention to dust rather than the gladiator events. However, once we got to the last event for the ladies in the 'Eliminator' I knew I'd enjoy myself this season!!

These ladies (and even the men!) were moving in slow motion. The course is so intense and really does test your endurance. I mean, I don't think I'd even be able to do it myself (note to self: get back to the gym, Amanda, because it's 2008!). But watching the contenders move so slowly and with such a defeatist look was so painful!! And not like I enjoy seeing people suffer, but watching the contenders fall up the sloped moving walkway was honestly the funniest thing I've ever seen - I'm still cracking up thinking about it!! They can't breathe at the end are basically crying. It's kind of motivating.. kind of.

They do a great job of portraying this gladiator feeling. I'd imagine that the gladiator fights at the Roman Colosseum would have sounded similar, with their cheers and jeers (though they probably didn't look like this). It's loud, intense, and exciting.

I must say that I'm not a big fan of this referee. I miss the old "contendereadyyy" "gladiatoreadyyy" shouts of Larry Thompson. This new guy politely asks the contenders and gladiators if they are ready. What's that about?? I mean, great diction, man. I'm a fan of grammar, but this is a crazy gladiator competition!!!

There's a strange obsession with the natural elements it seems. Just about every event has a pool of water beneath the competition, while the 'Eliminator' has both water and fire. It's nuts, yet fabulous!!

The gladiator names could be tweaked a bit. Gladiators, by definition, are extremely tough fighters and I'd imagine they'd be rather scary at times. Why, then, is there a gladiator named "Stealth"? That's not scary to me. And although "Helga" may be a brick wall, her name isn't that frightening either (not to mention, she rarely appears in the events). Yet, she kind of makes up for it because of her stone face and intimidating demeanor.

I'm so excited my Mondays will have AG in the lineup. It's great!! And even Hulk isn't so bad (though, I'd like to see him compete in the 'Eliminator'). As for me, I must go perfect my gladiator name…

Photo: NBC.com
Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second that..it was very funny and I couldn't take it. I watched it over and over again, but you know that as I watched it twice with you. haha you love to watch people fail dont you haha j/k