Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oh Bubbles...

I love fashion. It's my absolute favorite thing. New shoes, new bag, new anything really. I like to match, but only to an extent. We can't be too matchy matchy now. But sometimes it's hard to find certain items because of my shape. My Puerto Rican figure has a way of interrupting my dreams of the perfect pair of Citizens or Sevens. Regardless, I love to dive into the latest fashion and take some risks (though my Banana Republic and J. Crew conservative part of my closet might disagree).

This brings me to the bubble dress. Though it is something that's been around for a while and seems to be prevalent in most hemlines I come across for skirts and dresses, I can't really say I like it.

I first experienced the bubble hemline when I was in Spain two years ago. I was in Zara (my second favorite store to get some cute stuff - the first has to go to Salvador Bachiller). When my friend came to visit we both tried this skirt on and though she was in love with it, I could not say the same for me. I felt like a cupcake. It was like something was just scooping me up.

I've since tried on many-a-dress like this. I have a few weddings to go to this season and was recently in Macy's, trying on this cute champagne Calvin Klein. I was in love with the color and the look - it was strapless with a sweetheart neckline. How cute! But then I put it on and the bubble hemline really just ruined it for me. I looked absolutely ridiculous, which was definitely confirmed by my mother's incessant laughter.

For now (and the past two year) the bubble dress isn't for me. However, maybe one day I'll like it. It's happened before, specifically with UGGs (which I actually like more for the warmth and comfort than the look). But by that time, who knows what will be popular? The fact is that I feel pretty comfortable in my taste and style and that's what's simply fabulous.
Digg this

No comments: