Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stylista

You probably won't be surprised to learn that I watched Stylista last night. It combines some of my great loves: fashion, journalism, and reality TV. Here, you'll find my observations on this America's Next Top Model meets The Apprentice reality game show.

Anne Slowey. She's kind of a Devil-Wears-Prada wannabe. I have nothing but the utmost respect for her at the top of Elle Magazine and I know that she needs to do this for the show, but is she really cold like that in real life? And how dare you talk to someone by saying "I only take iced lattes." We all know there's only one Anna Wint-, I mean Miranda Priestly…

The cast of characters is slightly mundane. You can so tell why they picked the people they picked. You have the bitchy girls (and boys), the different looks, and let's not forget Boobs McGee.

Can I just say that if Kate was so worried about not being comfortable in the more conservative clothes she picked, wouldn't she, as a stylish maven hopeful, be able to pick out something fashionable and more conservative, without losing herself? Isn't that the real job of a "stylista"?

I really loved that Ashlie won the ridiculous breakfast challenge, even though she was running late. I'm not sure as to why she got so lost (though the streets downtown are sometimes hard to figure out). If you're running late and unsure of where you are, then hop in a cab lady! Your job depends on it! However, she pulled off a simplistic look, probably by accident with time not on her side. But that just goes to show you that sometimes the best stuff comes out when you're under pressure!

I loathe Megan. She should've gone home. She was the one who said they didn't each need a 30-word blurb. Instead Arnaldo went. He should've opened his mouth and been more forceful during the task and in Anne's office. Such is life, though. Those kinds of people don't get ahead. It's the Megans of this world that sneak their way to the top. It sucks. And big deal, you're a 22-year-old boutique owner. So what? Prove yourself better.

I'm intrigued to continue watching Stylista, probably because I'm jealous and had contemplated trying out for the show. Additionally, it's a different take on ANTM, which, let's face it, is getting kind of old.

Will we have another Andrea Sachs/Miranda Priestly situation on our hands? We'll have to keep watching to find out!
Digg this

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So upset I missed it..and forgot to tivo too, now I have to wait for rerun!!

Amanda said...

You can watch it online with barely any commercials on the CW site!! Check it out: http://cwtv.com/cw-video/stylista