Thursday, April 23, 2009

Customer Service is Key

I was unintentionally rude last night to a sales associate at Banana Republic. But, in my defense, he wasn't very clear in what he was saying and then after I gave him an attitude, he gave me an attitude back! Well, not for nothing, but I worked in customer service once upon a time and isn't the customer always right? You can't be snippy with a customer. You're representing your place of work. Well, here's the scenario…

I ordered the fabulous yellow dress from my previous post and it was way too big on me. So I went to exchange it for a smaller size. I was very excited that they had the size I needed and went to the cashier to make my even exchange. I told him that I just needed to switch the sizes - it was clearly the same dress, same color. He said OK and took my receipt. All of a sudden he says a number and waits for me, as if to give him my credit card. I looked at him, puzzled, and said:
What do you mean I owe you money?
Well, you purchased the dress from the online store and the online store is different from our store. You can only process returns here.
Well, that's quite ridiculous! Forget it then!
(I say this, kind of surprised and angrily, because why can't you just switch the size?!)
The whole problem here, by the way, was the fact that I had gotten the dress on sale and now the dress was back to full price. So when he said how much I owed, it seemed to add up to the full price of the dress. He responded to me:
I don't really understand what you think is ridiculous exactly? (He said this with attitude.)
Why would I pay you more money when I've already purchased the dress? Then I'm paying full price for it!
No, I'm taking the exact price you paid and charging you the same price. I have to return the dress and then have you re-buy it.
(He said this as if this was understood and looked at me like I was an idiot!)
Well, you actually didn't say that to me. It makes sense now and that's fine then.
I didn't know how to respond to all this! I may be an avid shopper, but I'm not completely aware of all the technicalities of every single store. Had he explained to me that he needed to return it first and then have me re-purchase it, there would not have been a problem. However, he decided to go ahead and do this without informing me and assumed that I would just swipe my card. I felt that he was taking advantage of me at this point and that is why I got so upset.

As he completed these TWO transactions, I was slightly mortified. Jess was with me and she kind of started laughing. She had to walk away and I'm glad she did because had we made eye contact I would have lost it! I really hadn't meant to be a grouchy customer, but he was not very clear!! Next time, he should explain what he's about to do and not give me an attitude back. Clearly, this Banana Republic employee was not instructed on etiquette!
Digg this

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

1. I'm so glad you got that dress!!!

2. As a former Gap, Inc. employee, I can attest that he was not being clear with you. :)

Unknown said...

clearly he never worked at holly hill