Monday, June 2, 2008

Fashion and the City

I (along with Serena) was one of the crazies who went to the midnight showing of Sex and the City: The Movie on Thursday night/Friday morning. And I had to go to work the next day. Yes, I didn't go to bed until 3am, but I know that it was worth it, even though I'm giving the movie an overall B+/A- for how good it was. But sometimes, I'm a harsh critic.

I'm not going to sit here and recount the movie for everyone because really there are some that have yet to see it and I don't want to spoil anything. I'm just going to talk about the fifth character, my favorite and most exciting part of the movie: the fashion, of course!

I'm not one to usually be obsessed with all of Patricia Field's choices throughout the series. In fact, I usually thought that they were completely outrageous combinations that I would most likely never even attempt (unless it had to do with Charlotte's more classic look). However, I was very impressed with the job Field did (though there was a strange argyle thigh high here and there), especially with the shoe and handbag choices. I seriously wanted to cry.

Of course my favorite shoe designer, Christian Louboutin, made his appearance throughout the movie - displaying the beautiful red bottomed shoes I can only dream of at night. And those blue Manolos from the closet had to be the most darling and dainty shoes I've ever seen. Of course I'm jealous of Carrie (the WRITER who cannot afford to ever have all the things she does - trust me). But I take everything from this movie as being in fashion heaven.

I even grew to like those crazy gladiator heels Carrie wore (they're Dior, by the way). When I first saw them in sneak peek movie pictures on PerezHilton, I didn't know what to think. And I still don't think I'm completely sold on the whole gladiator look. However, it totally worked and I think about my fun sundresses and long for a cute pair. It can't be just any old thing, but I'm certainly going to shop around for both heeled and flat ones. We'll see what I can come up with…

Now for the bags. How darling was Carrie's Louis Vuitton Limelight clutch?! I love clutches in general, even though certain people like my friend Ess, thinks they are silly. Although they may not always be functional, they complete an outfit and I always choose looks (with some comfort) over convenience. And it's Louis Vuitton so you know it's timeless.

So I've talked about my fave accessories. Now for my favorite outfit (and no, it didn't go with the bird headpiece): it would have to be the above green dress with the floral jacket. It's all about green this summer (Ang and I wore unplanned green outfits yesterday to a birthday party) and I love it! The belt, the shoes, the dainty dress! It was simply fabulous! However, I could have done without the Eiffel Tower bag (what was that about?!).

All in all, Sex certainly did not disappoint. If anything, it left me salivating over the fabulous fashion and fantastic looks. And it gives me hope: maybe a writer can have the closet of her dreams…
Digg this

No comments: