Monday, June 23, 2008

Stylish Stereotyping

A few weeks ago, when I was in Florida, a funny thing happened. I was approached by an older, British woman in a mall bathroom. I noticed her staring at me, as I washed my hands, and was slightly disturbed. As time went on, I realized she was about to approach me and all I could think was that she was probably going to scold me for the burn I had gotten the day before at the beach. Here's what happened:

Lady: Excuse me?
Me: (I say nothing, but just stare at her, waiting for her to speak.)
L: Do you speak English?
M: (disbelievingly and chuckling) Umm, yes.
L: Oh OK, well one never knows down here...
M: ha
L: Do you know where the nearest Coach outlet is? You look like you would know.
M: Why, yes I do. I was just there. Go out of the bathroom, make a left and then another left, and a right at Borders. Go outside and you'll see it.
L: OH, thank you so much!! And I meant that as a complement - ya know, that you LOOKED like you knew.
M: OK, hahaha (I say, uncomfortably and immediately turn to get outta there)


I was wearing a sundress from J.Crew, flip-flops, and my HOBO clutch. I was carrying a Michael Kors shopping bag. I guess I fit the Coach stereotype...
Digg this

1 comment:

Sowm said...

I like the way you put the girlie emotions and ideas in words! :)