Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

In a world of plenty, why do we never have enough? I find myself always wanting more. Three specific thoughts I had today:

-On a television of more than 1,000 channels there is never anything to watch.
-In a closet that is bursting with fun, stylish clothes that I purchased myself, I have nothing to wear.
-A computer that is just two and a half years old is not fast enough to keep up with me.


But, I think to myself, I AM satisfied with myself. I have all these good things in my life right now. What has made me feel this way?

The phrase "I'm so ADD" seems so popular these days, in a world of so many distractions. It's so easy to lose focus and start another project or get bored with what we have. We must be excellent multi-taskers so that we can keep up with society and even ourselves. It's funny when we think back to the age before cell phones and computers. Remember the beeper? Ang and I had secret number codes that we'd text each other throughout our mini-dramas. But what about the pre-Benjamin Franklin days of no electricity? I wouldn't be typing away on my "slow" laptop right now, I'd be writing by the light of a candle with my feather and quill. I cannot even imagine this.

I do wonder what the future brings - new technologies and probably new social networking tools. I'm sure we'll find new ways to waste time in the future, but will we ever be satisfied?
Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

feather and quill! that was a good laugh!