Monday, July 14, 2008

A Toast to the Kids

Remember when a Shirley temple was one of the most sophisticated drinks you could have when you were a kid? At a family function this weekend, these two young girls put in their order to the bartender for a pitcher of Shirley temples, aka ginger ale and grenadine. It made me laugh because I thought about how silly it was, as I now sipped on my own gin and tonic. But we always used to feel so grown up with those drinks, as if we were one of the mature adults ready to take on the world.

What is it with mimicking and longing for something you don't have? It's interesting because when you're little, you just want to be older. But when you're older you long for the days of when you were younger. I suppose no one can ever be completely satisfied at where they belong in life. Maybe if little children could have all the privileges as adults and adults could get away with things and have the carefree days back from when they were little, we'd all be pleased. But how long do you really think the satisfaction would last? Would we ever want to go back to where we belong?
Digg this

2 comments:

Pretty Unfamous said...

When I was little I didn't think of Shirley Temples as a kids' version of an adult drink, mainly because my parents never talked about it like that. It was just a cherry 7up with a cool name.

Anonymous said...

through high school my brother still loved shirley temples, but he was embarrassed to order them, so we place eachother's drink order and swapped upon arrival.