Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Golden Games and My Obsession

I can't stop watching the Olympics. I didn't think I'd ever be this interested, but I am.

Two nights ago, I fully intended to make it an early night and I was excited. It was around 9pm and I turned on the TV and put the Olympics on. I had been pretty into the swimming and gymnastics events, but nothing too crazy. The first event scheduled to begin that night was women's beach volleyball. I wasn't too thrilled with this as why would I want to watch that? Well, let's just say that the game got really really good and the set points kept coming up and the US was going back and forth with Belgium. I was rooting for the US all the way, of course. And we finally won! It was such a good game.

Next was swimming and how could I not watch Michael Phelps win his fifth and sixth gold medals?! He's just so amazing! Could you imagine having an 8-10,000 calorie intake every single day?? And then going out to win all these gold medals in Beijing? That's just too amazing. In fact, in the recap from last night I just saw that he won by one one-hundredth of a second! That's crazy and so awesome! Before I knew it, it was after 11pm - there went my hopes of an early night. And the gymnastics individual events had yet to begin!! I had to go to sleep, though, because I was just so tired and had to get up for work the next day! I saw the recaps yesterday morning and yes, our girls took gold and silver. USA! USA!

This morning when I turned on the TV, the Olympics were on again. Basketball is the sport this time (as you may know I used to play in grammar school and high school) and it's USA versus Spain. I was very excited to see this. I want the US to win of course, but I am partial to Spain because I did study there for five months. However, I saw the controversy with the picture and was not really thrilled with that. Additionally, as I watch the game (it's currently halftime), I see that Spain plays pretty dirty and international referees are pretty fickle in their calls. Sometimes a Spanish player may all but beat up an American and he won't get called, but an American may reach a little and he gets a foul called!! Kobe Bryant already has three fouls!! EEK!

I hope for the US to win big - we've been doing very well thus far. But I just never thought I'd be so interested in these Beijing games. Go Team USA!! Bring home the gold!!!



Photo: PacificCoastNewsOnline.com - I just thought this pic was hysterical and needed to share the stupidity of our "leader"...
Digg this

No comments: