Monday, May 19, 2008

Making Up Eyes

Eyes are the most important part of the makeup process. They may take the most time to perfect, but they are certainly the most important. Think about it: when you're having a conversation with someone, they are most likely (and hopefully) looking at your eyes. That's why eyeliners and shadow shades are the way to go. And defying the standard is sometimes a good idea.

For years I have been going against the typical top-lid eyelining standard. I don't use a regular thin pencil (my fave for the inside of the bottom lid is Prescriptives' Softlining Pencil). I use a thick one (Cool Effects by Maybelline). Now you might wonder how it's possible to get a thin line with a thick pencil.

I cannot recall where I came up with this technique. Perhaps I read it in a magazine or perhaps I decided to break the rules and do my own thing (I often enjoy experimenting). But by taking this pencil, holding the corner of my eye, and just getting as close as I can to the lash line, I can form a perfect line. Anytime I try to use a thin pencil up there, I cannot seem to make a line like this - it tends to come out more jagged and disconnected, at which point I try to fix it and end up with a super thick line that is no good for daytime wear. So I save my thin Prescriptives pencil for the bottom and if I'm running out, I make sure that I at least wear this.

Shadows are my favorite part of getting ready. With my blue eyes I like to use shades of purples and browns to bring out the color. Pop Beauty (from London, sold at Sephora) has a great collection to help you create the perfect look. Their Eye Cake (pictured, at right) is a palette of five shadows that can give you options in blending and highlighting. I've been in love with these for more than two years now and they are a staple in my makeup collection. They even have a Makeup Wallet that can be matched up with girls by eye color.

You can easily create the work-appropriate look or jazz up your face with a funky nightglow that's sure to make your eyes POP.


Photo: Sephora.com
Digg this

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i totally felt like i was just reading an article in cosmo haha