Thursday, May 15, 2008

Photoshopped!

As you may be able to tell, I've had a slight obsession with Sex and the City for years. Yes, I own all the DVDs and I know each episode by heart. So when I came across an article in Time Out New York about how SATC ruined NYC and is played out, of course I was intrigued.

The cover of this week's TONY is our four leading ladies (pictured, above), with tape over their mouths, and a headline reading "No Sex". The picture was a familiar one to me - one that I perhaps had seen when Ms. Carrie Bradshaw had her new 'do. I began my Google Image Search to confirm my suspicions - TONY photoshopped our narrator's hair, from short to long (pictured, right).

Now, why would they do this, I wonder? Is it because Sarah Jessica Parker is now older and they wanted her to look younger? Personally, I never liked that look on SJP because I did think it made her look a wee bit older. So were they trying to take her back to her original days of SATC, circa 1998? Were they trying to make it seem as if the girls had never left us (even though the article seemed to be more of an attack on the show)? Why not just use a picture where her hair was long? There are lots of those from the olden golden days.

To me, Photoshop is meant to make slight adjustments and should only be used to doctor something if it won't be extremely noticeable. I know that I'm crazy when it comes to discovering little details and the average person may not realize the difference, but someone did. And that someone is me! Once something is out in the open, it probably shouldn't be manipulated.

And as another note: while SATC may have ruined NYC for some, I still think it's the greatest place in the world. Even if those tour buses weren't around, you'd still have tourists running around trying to find these televised locations. I dislike tourists just as much as the next native New Yorker, for their slow pace and their inability to navigate the City streets. But you're just jealous that you didn't come up with the money-making idea of tour buses first.

Hopefully, the movie doesn't disappoint…

Photos, respectively: PerezHilton.com, HBO.com
Digg this

2 comments:

KSButterfly447 said...

I sooo agree. As a designer, I use Photoshop everyday of my life. It always has been used for more than just touch ups. It seems that artists take more into their hands than they should sometimes. You see, artists have a habit of making things look the way they want them to look, instead of letting things look the way they should. Namely, model photo shoots. Come on, do you really think that people are so flawless. Perfect hair, photoshoped. Perfect face, photoshoped. No cellulite, definitely photoshoped. As an artist, I can say this, let people be who they are. If you don't like the way they look. Then don't look.

Anonymous said...

this blog is good!
You have to teach me, how to make my blog as powerful as yours.

http://uptodateurbanstreetstyle.blogspot.com/