Monday, September 15, 2008

A Longing For Less

In addition to Casual Fridays, we get Casual Mondays at my office. It's nice. But as I was putting on my jeans this morning, I thought to myself, "Who do they make these jeans for?"

It seems that most designer jeans - or any jeans for that matter - are way too long. And I'm 5'8". So I'm no shorty here. Why, then, do I need to fold up my jeans when I wear flats, even when buying a regular length and not a long?! Sometimes I even have to roll them up when I have heels on!! Despite my height I do like to wear three to four inch heels. There's no reason that when I stand at practically six feet that my jeans should still be way too long!

While hemming jeans is an alternative it slightly bothers me (and when can I find the time to go complete this errand??). I mean I'm already paying top dollar for good jeans and now I have to have someone cut off half the material? (Not to mention the cost of having the jeans hemmed.) And I'd like the original hem on that too, please. But what if they mess my jeans up somehow? I'll have to find the perfect tailor just for this jeans dilemma.

I recently bought a pair of Joe's Jeans at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I was very excited about them and they are one of the best-fitting jeans I've ever owned. But they were way too long. Luckily for me, I could use the Nordstrom tailor to fix my jeans and get them back relatively quickly. Personally, I did not care for the demeanor or attitude of this woman who thought she knew more than me. She was annoyed that I tried to tell her that I'd like them slightly shorter so that when I'm walking in heels, my jeans wouldn't be torn up from the NYC streets. They ended up doing a great job, but that's what I expected for the price I paid!

I guess I should count myself lucky. Most of my friends are just a little over five feet. I can't even imagine them in my jeans! They'd be swimming in them! But who, except for tall models can wear these clothes? Can anyone tell me?!

Photo: JoesJeans.com
Digg this

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I have the worst time finding jeans to wear. I'm 5' so whenever I happen to find a pair that fit great in the butt/thigh area, they are wayyy too long. It's really obnoxious.