Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rachel Bilson and Edie Rose

I got an email last night about Rachel Bilson's new collection at DKNY. And this is when I thought - what's with the celebrity trend of having their own clothing/handbag/shoe/accessory lines?

I suppose the goal here is to entice people with a big name. Some may choose to buy a brand because of the name associated with it. For me, it's quality over the particular designer - at times. I don't think I'd pay $200 for a Lauren Conrad dress because I don't think it's worth that much. However, if there was one line we should be confident in it might be Lauren's because she does attend FIDM after all (or so they lead us to believe on The Hills).

But then we've got Victoria Beckham, Mischa Barton, and who can forget Jessica Simpson? Perhaps these lines are created to help flailing stars come back into the spotlight, but who knows? Sure, some of the lines are stylish and cute, but are they really worth the asking price? Then we have Sarah Jessica Parker doing her part for the downtrodden and having a cheaper line at Steve and Barry's. But then you think - how good could the quality really be? She had to still have been making a profit on this stuff.

I'll admit, I'm a bit intrigued by Rachel Bilson's Edie Rose collection. In fact, I think I'd wear the outfit pictured here, except the hat. I think Rachel's so cute and has great style (except when she got sucked into that Katie Holmes trend). And I miss the days of Summer Roberts. But I'm really wondering what the reasoning behind this is. Is it kind of like "Well, why not?" (kind of like the actors who break out into song with their own albums).

We shall see what happens, but I'll hopefully get a chance to check out the collection, even though I may be a bit skeptical right now. Rachel Bilson's Edie Rose collection for DKNY Jeans comes out this month. If you check it out, let me know what you think!

Photos: Rachel Bilson - People.com; Edie Rose - DKNYJeans.com
Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found Sarah jessica Parker's BITTEN line at Steve and Barry's comparable to items selling at four times the price elsewhere. I would check it out personally before jumping to a conclusion. Most retailer mark up 300-400% so they have room for mark downs. Steve and Barry usually keep the same price and have no special sales. They also don't spend a dime advertising and pass these savings to their customers.

Amanda said...

Good point on mark ups and mark downs. It is quality over quantity, after all. However, the blog was not meant to be an attack on Steve and Barry's at all. I have checked out the line and, personally, I just don't like it. Thanks for your comment!!